Wednesday, January 14, 2009

breadsticks

this recipe is easy and yum-o-licious. you can also use the dough for pizza crust.

i made these for bunco last night - two batches. and none were left over at the end of the night.

breadsticks

*1/8 cup olive oil
*1 T. yeast (can use 1 pkg. yeast)
*2 T. sugar
*1 1/2 C. warm water (not too hot, not too cold)
*1/2 tsp. salt
*3 cups flour

i make this in my kitchenaid...and i got a tip from a friend to warm the mixing bowl with hot water before making any recipes with yeast in them. so warm up that bowl... and attach the dough hook. put the oil, yeast, sugar and water in the bowl. stir to combine and let sit for about 5 minutes. attach the bowl to the mixer and add the salt and flour. knead for about 3 minutes. the dough should NOT be too sticky or stick to the sides of the bowl, but it will be soft. let the dough rest for about 10-15 minutes.

preheat your oven to 415-425 degrees F. you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

sprinkle flour on your countertop and roll the dough out. try to get it the same size as the pans you are going to be baking on. you can roll it out right on the pan if you prefer. brush the top of the dough generously with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. i also like to put a bit of kosher salt on the top. cut into sticks with a pizza cutter.

bake for 10-15 minutes or until the breadsticks start to brown.

if using for pizza crust, roll out into the shape you want, top with sauce, toppings and cheese and bake.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I made breadsticks last night for dinner! I used to just do garlic salt and parmesan cheese, but I found this stuff at Costco (I'm pretty sure they sell it at regular grocery stores too) called Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning and it is TO DIE FOR. My three year old ate four huge breadsticks! I'm glad I bought the Costco size because I'm pretty sure we are going to go through it quickly.

Connie said...

These sound GREAT!

We made homemade pizza the other night with a Whole Wheat recipe from Everyday Food. I will post it this week (I hope).

Great tip about warming up the bowl!

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I loved these. Thanks for the recipe