Tuesday, January 27, 2009

amaretto slush

i got this recipe from a lovely blogger, holli. i LOVE amaretto and i've always wanted to make this, so when i hosted bunco at my house a few weeks ago, i made this. i had also borrowed a recipe for rum glogg from my dear friend kristi, but i thought this might appeal to this group of girls more. next year, we will do the glogg. i just like the name glogg. i want to say glogg over and over.

ok, back to this slush. thanks to holli for the recipe...

amaretto slush

*1 C boiling water
3 lipton tea bags **
3 1/2 C water
1 1/2 C amaretto
1 C sugar
1 (6 oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
1 (6 oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed and undiluted
2 (2 liter) bottles ginger ale, chilled

Pour boiling water over tea bags; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and toss them out. (**I think you could make this without the tea bags, but they are definitely what gives the slush a nice brown almond color. If you live in Cache Valley, I have a giant box of these tea bags and will give you 3 if you want to make this. Just let me know...I would probably even mail them.)

Transfer tea to a 2 quart freezer container. (i have a large tupperware measuring cup I use) Stir in 3 1/2 cups water and the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the ginger ale. Cover and freeze until firm. To serve, partially thaw until slushy (mine didn't freeze solid. but i may have put, uh, more amaretto in than 1 1/2 cups. maybe.) Pour equal parts of slush mixture and ginger ale into serving glasses.

Makes 1 gallon.

For those of you who choose not to drink, I think you COULD make this with almond extract instead of amaretto. I'd just use water in place of the amaretto, and try a T of almond extract. I have NEVER done this, so experiment. One tablespoon might be too much. Might not be enough. I have no idea.

0 comments: